Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Wish and the Owl


The Wish and the Owl

Sparkling sunshine
On a soft, breezy day;
I’m running around
Cavorting as play.

I leap to an oak
The wind swirling around;
Suddenly something
Knocks me to the ground!

A hoot then a tap
Something brushes my knee;
A feathery ball
Of owl beckons me.

“I know what you need,”
The owl speaks with concern;
“One wish I will grant -
A lesson you’ll learn.”

“A wish, oh a wish!”
I agree with delight;
“Most certainly, owl!”
I jump with my might.

“Very well,” says owl
And a spray of gold leaves
Comes twi-ri-ling down
So slightly with ease.

The magic appears
And transforms myself all;
I shrink down below
I’m suddenly small!

I’m stubby and round
With a beak and a claw;
I’ve feathery wings-
I just ‘bout forgot!

I’ve eight little things
Around four on each foot;
I’m dirty, not clean-
The color of soot!

I push off the ground
And take flight to the air;
I search for that owl
He's gone someplace - where?!

Can’t find him, he’s gone
That owl’s nowhere in sight;
He's left me in dread
Took off like a kite.

That wish was a trick!
How’d I fall for his words?
The lesson is clear -
Never speak to birds!


This is a little poem I wrote about a kid and a strange little owl. This isn’t my best poem ever, and I apologize. Here is a little bit of why it’s not my best ever:

This never actually happened to me (obviously), but my own personal thoughts inspired me to write it. I’ve always wondered about wishes and how badly I could use some at different times in my life. When I was little, I even planned that if I ever met or came across a magical person that could grant me a wish, I would wish for infinite wishes. I think other people have probably thought of that too. It makes sense, right, to wish for that? Originally, in this poem, I was going to have the kid wish for infinite wishes just like I would do, and then have the owl punish him/her for her greed by turning him/her into an owl herself. I thought that was a pretty good idea, and reflected pretty much what would be likely to happen to me if I lived in a magical world, but then all the stuff I wrote didn’t rhyme or fit with the rhythm pattern I had going. That’s why the events aren’t completely clear…… but that’s okay! J I’m not a professional writer. J

No comments:

Post a Comment