Monday, October 10, 2011

My little Meili

 Last November, my mom and dad traveled to China for two and a half weeks. When they got home on November twentieth, two thousand ten, I had a brand new Chinese baby sister: Meili Lilly.

     
      Flashback to spring, two thousand five. My family decided to adopt a baby from China. We sent in the applications, got our request confirmed, and made all the requirements to adopt. If my family was perfectly eligible to adopt, then why did it take us five and a half years to get our baby? The Chinese government is corrupt. I will explain this later, maybe in my next post. Five and a half years is a long time to wait, especially if you know that you have a darling baby sister waiting for you in a lonely orphanage half way around the world! 




      On November twentieth, two thousand ten, (before my parents had gotten home) I was watching a movie, anxiously awaiting my little sister's arrival. I was sitting as blank as a statue, trying desperately to pay attention to the movie, but inside I was an untied balloon, whizzing hysterically around the room with excitement! 


     At approximately seven o'clock in that evening, a holler from my grandma upstairs jolted me into action. The next thing I knew, I was springing off the front porch to the white Ford parked on the driveway. I know this sounds extremely cheesy, but it was honestly like a slow motion, dramatic movie. I leaped gracefully off the porch, and dove into the car.




    A warm peacefulness lit inside me when I heard the wailing of a baby. I whipped open the car door and fell into a hug towards the baby wrapped probably four times in blankets. I admired her beautiful, chocolate eyes, and she locked my fair blue eyes for a minute, but then rejected me, frightened. 

   I remember vividly that it began to rain, and grew thicker by the minute, so my mom grabbed Meili out of the car seat and bolted to the porch for covering. Almost immediately, as if my family were celebrities, neighborhood children flocked around our porch to see the new baby they were so excited to meet. 

   After our many fans left us for the night, we brought our little Meili inside. It was the strangest thing, suddenly having a new baby sister. I couldn't believe we actually got to keep her! When I would wake up the next morning, she would be there. She was my sweet baby sister who I didn't even know, yet loved her with all my heart. 

    I do not remember what happened after this. All I know is that it was like a beautiful dream that too soon faded into the everyday world that I call my life. 




This is our precious little Meili today! 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment