Sunday, March 4, 2012

A Different Kind of Prom


A DIFFERENT KIND OF PROM
I wouldn’t know, because I’ve never actually been to a prom, but I’ve heard others talk about their experiences in this subject and prom sounds like a really big deal. To a bunch of teenagers, at least. And most of those people that I’m talking about are usually girls. Those high school girls who obsess over Prom are mostly worried about their looks. To them, looks determine the rest of their prom experience, maybe the entirety of school and socializing, possibly even their entire lives. To them, looks influence who their date is and how the dates act, who their friends are, what their social status is, what they are involved in outside of school, the list goes on. So, to summarize basically all of what I just said, the majority of high school girls (and some boys) obsess over their looks and social status.
Prom is just one example of a time when teenage girls get excited to measure the level of their popularity and beauty. They do this through their date (ex: who can get the cutest date, etc…), their dress and outfit (ex: which girl has the most showy, expensive dress), their friends (ex: am I in the “popular” group?) – am I making any sense? Again, I’ve obviously never been to a prom. I’ve only heard stories. But from what I hear, Prom is the time for high school girls to see how much people like them and how pretty people think they are.
Now, I don’t think too many people will be reading this, if any, so I’m just going to come out and state my opinions like they are fact. Because in my mind, my opinion is pretty much fact. J
Okay, back to the whole Prom deal. You know how much girls let popularity, beauty, guys and dates, and Proms control their lives. Well, they are going to be disappointed to find out later in life that all those hours spent grooming their long, over-curled hair was practically a waste. I’m not a guy, but I know that they don’t care about girls and their hair all that much. But for some reason unknown to me, Prom is just a sample of girls’ obsessions.
Girls who obsess the most over guys, dates, beauty, popularity, etc… are usually the ones to obsess over Prom. That’s given. But imagine for a moment that no one obsessed over Prom? What if no teenage girls thought they are only as good as their hair? What if they didn’t measure their social status daily? What if your soul determined your beauty?
What if there was a prom, just one prom, where everyone attending was as beautiful as their inside?

No comments:

Post a Comment